The mathematics curriculum focuses on number, algebra, geometry, measure, handling data and problem solving, which contain subsections. Problem solving involves the application of skills to different contexts. The curriculum spotlights principles, patterns, systems, functions and relationships so that learners apply their mathematical knowledge and develop a holistic understanding of the subject (Cambridge Secondary 1 Curriculum Framework). Teachers utilize inquiry to scaffold students to understanding. Concepts are related to real-life situations to consolidate learning. Technology is regularly incorporated into lessons.
- Integers, powers and roots.
- Place value, ordering and rounding.
- Fractions, decimals, percentages, ratio and proportion.
- Expressions, equations and formulae
- Sequences, functions and graphs
- Shapes and geometric reasoning
- Position and movement
- Length, mass and capacity
- Times and rates of change
- Area, perimeter and volume
- Planning and collecting data
- Processing and presenting data
- Interpreting and discussing results
- Using techniques and skills in solving mathematical problems
- Using understanding and strategies in solving problems