Students are required to take an additional language course at IGCSE level. Students may select from French, Spanish, First language Turkish.
The IGCSE Second Language French and Spanish courses follow the CAIE Computer curricula.
Foreign Language courses encourage learners to develop lifelong skills, including
- The ability to use a foreign language as a means of practical communication
- Insight into the culture and civilization of countries where the language is spoken
- A positive attitude towards language learning, towards the speakers of other languages, and towards other cultures and civilizations
- Techniques which can be applied to other areas of learning, such as analysis and memory skills
- A sound foundation for progression to employment or further study
The AS Level Modern foreign language courses follow the CAIE curriculum.
AS and A Level language courses build on the language skills gained at IGCSE and are the ideal foundation for university-level study or to improve career prospects. Students learn how to use the language in a variety of situations. They are expected to handle texts and other source materials, extracting information in order to respond to specific tasks. Through their studies, students can expect to achieve greater fluency, accuracy and confidence in the language.