Because there are such a variety of different systems across the world, your grade placement here at MEF IS may be a little different to what you are accustomed to. When placing your child in the correct grade level, we will look at the following criteria.
- Students must have successfully completed their previous grade level to be placed in the next grade level in MEF IS when the Academic Year starts in September.
- If an application is submitted after the school year starts, during midterm or in Semester II, the student’s current Grade Progress Report or Semester/Trimester Report Card or Transcript must also be submitted.
- The Academic Year runs from September to June and one school year is completed in 10 months. However, in Southern Hemisphere countries such as Australia, Korea or Japan, the academic year runs on a different schedule. Therefore, students who come from these countries and apply to enter MEF IS in the second half of the academic year will not be placed in the next grade level until September because of having missed the first 5-6 months of that school year.
- A proficient level of English is required for enrolment in Grades 9-12.
See the table below for placement students based on the UK equivalent and age of the student. The age level of the student is a rough guide, as it is important that your child has completed the previous grade level in order to be accepted into the next. MEF IS accepts student enrolments for ages 3 through to 18. You can also reference the academic records required for your application in this table.
|MEF IS GRADE LEVEL||Year of Birth||UK EQUIVALENT YEAR||REQUIRED ACADEMIC RECORDS / TRANSCRIPTS|
|Kindergarten||2016||Year 1 – Primary School||(if available)|
|Grade 1 – Primary School||2015||Year 2 – Primary School||Kindergarten/Year 1 Report Card|
|Grade 2 – Primary School||2014||Year 3 – Primary School||Kindergarten & Grade 1/Year 1 & 2 Report Cards|
|Grade 3 – Primary School||2013||Year 4 – Primary School||Grades 1 & 2/Year 2 & 3 Report Cards|
|Grade 4 – Primary School||2012||Year 5 – Primary School||Grades 2 & 3/Year 3 & 4 Report Cards|
|Grade 5 – Primary School||2011||Year 6– Primary School||Grades 3 & 4/Year 4 & 5 Report Cards|
|Grade 6 – Secondary School||2010||Year 7 – Secondary School||Grades 4 & 5/Year 5 & 6 Report Cards|
|Grade 7 – Secondary School||2009||Year 8 – Secondary School||Grades 5 & 6/Year 6 & 7 Report Cards|
|Grade 8 – Secondary School||2008||Year 9 – Secondary School||Grades 6 & 7/Year 7 & 8 Transcripts|
|Grade 9 – Secondary School||2007||Year 10 – Secondary School||Grades 7 & 8/Year 8 & 9 Transcripts|
|Grade 10*– Secondary School||2006||Year 11*– Secondary School||Grades 8 & 9/Year 9 & 10 Transcripts*|
|Grade 11*– Secondary School||2005||Year 12*– Secondary School||Grades 9 & 10/Year 10 & 11 Transcripts*|
|Grade 12*– Secondary School||2004||Year 13*– Secondary School||Grades 9 & 10 & 11/Year 10-11-12 Transcripts*|
* Entry into Grades 10-11-12 will be considered on a case by case basis.